Students around the world are required to take English – it is spoken everywhere. English is the first language of the United States, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Australia, and the second official language of many other countries, including all of Europe, Latin America and Asia.
YOU need to learn English for many, many reasons, not the least of which is to:
1. Help your children in school, help them with their homework, and talk to their teachers, counselors, and administrators.
2. Gain your children’s respect. They need you to participate in life with them here.
3. Get a job, get a better job, and earn a better salary.
4. Speak with your neighbors, boss, managers, supervisor at work, co-workers who speak other languages, and those who do business with your employer.
5. Understand labels on medicines and other things you buy. Any errors here could be fatal to you and/or your family.
6. Understand the history and culture of this country, why people think and do what they do, understand national holidays and their historical significance.
7. Talk to medical experts such as doctors, nurses, dentists, ophthalmologists, pediatricians, and emergency personnel. Your life and the lives of your family could depend on it.
8. Defend yourself against people who take advantage of those who do not speak English. There are many people in every culture who are just waiting to rob, steal your identity, deceive with lies, give the wrong change, and so on. Learn English to protect yourself!
9. Learn the laws of this land so you can obey them, know what your rights are, and how to defend yourself legally.
10. Learn how to defend your children from the things they will be tempted to get involved with through acquaintances at school: alcohol, premarital sex, drugs, poor communication with their parents, and so on, temptations they might not have faced in your country of origin.
11. At English classes, you will meet new people and make friends who will have information that will be useful to you. Many students become close friends with each other, help each other lose their anxiety, fear, and depression about living in a strange country. They develop confidence and greater self-esteem in the process of learning English!